Subject: Re: Case sensitivity in filenames
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

7 Jan 1999 17:02:26 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

---Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]> wrote:
8<
> Cygwin is a emulation layer, to support porting of UNIX Tools with a
minimum
> of change. This implies, that the emulation layer should behave as
near to
> UNIX as it's possible. IMHO, there is absolutely no need in cramming
this
> layer with a complex interface, only because people are not willing,
to learn
> another syntax.
> 
> If somebody want's tools with the user interface, but not with the
other
> features of UNIXish interface, he/she should use _native_ ports. Lot
of them
> exist. Why demanding this of cygwin, which is designed for another
goal?
> 
8<

I agree with Corinna.  The tool works well for that which it was
intended to do.  If a user wants something different, then the sources
exist for that purpose.  Let's not waste any more time on this.  There
are workarounds to the problems of case sensitivity such as setting
the appropriate switches for bash as has been reported already.  Or
using the -iname switch in find instead of -name.  Or doing ls
*.[jJ][aA][vV][aA] to find all cases of this file name.

IMO, the fix would be to not allow MyFile.java not match myfile.java
when being specific.  This would be more UNIX like.

BTW, thank-you Corinna for the contributions you've made to the CYGWIN
project.

==
-                        \\||//
-------------------o0O0--Earnie--0O0o-------------------
--                [email-masked]               --
-- http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html --
----------------------ooo0O--O0ooo----------------------

PS: Newbie's, you should visit my page.
_________________________________________________________
DO YOU YAHOO!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".