Subject: Re: Various newbie questions
From: [email-masked] (Dan Hensley)

7 Jan 1999 01:29:47 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Matt,

> I just downloaded Cygwin for the first time. I've never used a Unix or Linux
> system and my only previous experience with Unix-like tools is with djgpp.
> Because of this, my first question is: can anyone recommend books that I can
> use to learn the various tools and compilers/interpreters (i.e. shell
> scripting, tcl/tk)? I'd just like a general overview of Unix or Gnu tools.
> Next, I'd like to experiment with X programming and using various toolkits
> I've read about. I'm downloading the X11R6.4 precompiled libs from
> www.lexa.ru. These are the latest versions, right?
> Also, I've experimented a little with the MI/X server and the X-Win32 demo. I
> don't like MI/X very much and the X-Win32 demo only runs for two hours, so
> I've started looking for free alternatives. I read something about Xvnc. What
> exactly is Xvnc? Does it have all the functionality of an X-server? Also, I
> read that it requires a Cygwin port of perl. I currently have ActivePerl
> installed on my system. Is this sufficient, or would I have to use the Cygwin
> port with Xvnc?

I've had a bit of experience with Xvnc--basically it's a client/server application
that lets you view one computer's desktop from another.  So it's probably not what
you're looking for.

> Finally, I've read that the Gimp and GTK have been ported to Windows. Would
> the Gimp port run with Xvnc? I've looked at the www.gnome.org site and the
> Gnome project looks interesting. Since it's based on GTK, would it be possible
> to run a Gnome desktop from Xvnc? I don't need to or anything, I just think it
> would interesting to see what Gnome is like and I don't particularly want to
> install Linux at this point.
> Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read all these questions.

In general, IMHO if you want to learn X-windows programming, etc., it's probably
best just to stick Linux on your system and work with it.  Then if you really want
to have it working in Windows, you can port your Linux programs over (once you
know they work right).  Starting out with a "hybrid", ported environment to me
will be much more frustrating, since you have to pull pieces and patches from all
over the place to put together the full system, and who knows if it will all work
correctly together.

Dan

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".