Subject: B20.1: piping from one cygwin app to another one in cmd.exe command line
From: [email-masked] (Egor Duda)

6 Jan 1999 18:34:33 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Egor Duda <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi!

  I've encountered a problem running the following command from cmd.exe:

objdump --syms sample.o | less

  Sometimes (rather frequently) the session freezes.
  I've looked into sources and strace files and (as it seems to me)
found the reason. "objdump" allocates master tty, creates all needed
events -- Cygwin.tty0.inuse, Cygwin.tty0.output.restart,
Cygwin.tty0.output.done and so on along with appropriate threads. Then
second application starts, found master tty, open existing events (not
starting any threads) and then first application finishes, destroing
all those threads. So, "less" posts "ioctl_request" event, and freezes
waiting for "ioctl_done" event, but nobody responds. Seems that similar
problem has been reported by [email-masked] in the message from 19th
nov 1998. I understand that it's more likely to be feature than bug,
but are there any plans to fix it?

Egor.            mailto:[email-masked] ICQ 5165414 FidoNet 2:5020/496.19

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".