Subject: A pipe, a binary pipe...
From: [email-masked] (Max Hadley)

6 Jan 1999 18:19:44 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "Cygwin mailing list" <[email-masked]>

Dear list,

What are the rules cygwin uses for deciding whether stdin & stdout are
treated as text or binary? I have a program which works when I do:

    MyProgram < a_file

but not when I do:

    cat a_file | MyProgram

Can I tell what the mode of an already-open stream is, or one tell to
switch modes from text to binary? BTW, my $CYGWIN is "noglob noreset_com
noenvcache". Come to that, a nice way of testing whether an open stream
is a pipe would be usefull!

Thanks

Max Hadley

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".