Subject: Re: more cygwin patches
From: [email-masked] (Eugene Kanter)

6 Jan 1999 11:41:52 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Christopher Seawood wrote:

> While we're on the subject, does anyone know how to get around the problem
> of replacing a file that is currently in use?  Upgrading rpm itself via
> rpm is practically impossible as /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc must be present and
> therefore can't be replaced and causes the upgrade to fail.
>

I have a version of rpm-2.5.pre6 which does not require any configuration
files to be present. Default rpmrc and rpmpopt are compiled into the binary.
There still is a problem upgrading rpm binary itself, however it can be
partially avoided by copying rpm binary to /tmp and running it from there.

Source rpm is available in ftp://ftp.ultra.net/pub/eugene/SRPMS directory. I
can provide a binary upon request.

For general rule of upgrading locked files the best information I found so
far is from the book "Bulletproof installs" by Leslie E. Easter. ISBN
0137980914. The idea is to schedule a rename operation upon next reboot. It
is done via registry on NT and wininit.ini file on W95.

Eugene.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".