Subject: Various newbie questions
From: [email-masked]

6 Jan 1999 02:26:48 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I just downloaded Cygwin for the first time. I've never used a Unix or Linux
system and my only previous experience with Unix-like tools is with djgpp.
Because of this, my first question is: can anyone recommend books that I can
use to learn the various tools and compilers/interpreters (i.e. shell
scripting, tcl/tk)? I'd just like a general overview of Unix or Gnu tools.
Next, I'd like to experiment with X programming and using various toolkits
I've read about. I'm downloading the X11R6.4 precompiled libs from
www.lexa.ru. These are the latest versions, right?
Also, I've experimented a little with the MI/X server and the X-Win32 demo. I
don't like MI/X very much and the X-Win32 demo only runs for two hours, so
I've started looking for free alternatives. I read something about Xvnc. What
exactly is Xvnc? Does it have all the functionality of an X-server? Also, I
read that it requires a Cygwin port of perl. I currently have ActivePerl
installed on my system. Is this sufficient, or would I have to use the Cygwin
port with Xvnc?
Finally, I've read that the Gimp and GTK have been ported to Windows. Would
the Gimp port run with Xvnc? I've looked at the www.gnome.org site and the
Gnome project looks interesting. Since it's based on GTK, would it be possible
to run a Gnome desktop from Xvnc? I don't need to or anything, I just think it
would interesting to see what Gnome is like and I don't particularly want to
install Linux at this point.
Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read all these questions.

Matt Reece
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".