Subject: Re: Case sensitivity in filenames
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

5 Jan 1999 02:15:52 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <c=UK%a=_%p=Origin-it%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: "Moore, Paul" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Larry Hall'" <[email-masked]>, "'Gnu Win32'" <[email-masked]>

On Mon, Jan 04, 1999 at 02:34:25PM -0000, Moore, Paul wrote:
[...]
> Unfortunately, I'm not willing to limit myself to bash...
> 
> Paul.

Could you explain at greater length what you want Cygwin to do
w.r.t. case insensitivity?

Do you want the Cygwin emulation layer to treat all path strings in a
case-insensitive manner? It already does this to a large extent -- if
you do an action on filename "foo" that causes Cygwin to call
ReadFile, ReadFile will take "foo" and read "Foo" if that's the case
for that file.

But I don't think you could change the Cygwin library in such a way
that arbitrary Unix programs using Cygwin would treat filenames in a
case-insensitive manner.  For example, I don't think a Cygwin
modification could allow you to just build bash without any special
modifications to bash and get case-insensitive filename completion
out of readline.

It probably would be appropriate for filename completion to
autocorrect case changes in programs that use readline under Cygwin.
That probably wouldn't be too hard to do.

Any comments?  Are you arguing for Cygwin being case preserving but
case insensitive?  More, less?

-- 
Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".