Subject: Re: "specs" related problems
From: [email-masked] (bowman)

4 Jan 1999 22:52:01 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Cygwin <[email-masked]>

Oliver Brandt wrote:
> 
> By the way: why does cygnus has a "no-cygwin"-switch and the mingw32-
> include-files but not the libs???

I am not sure about the libs, but among other things, the no-cygwin
switch pulls in the header files in ~/include/mingw32  rather than the
cygwin headers in ~/include. I just got burnt on this. I had an older
version of Mingw32 that required GCC_EXEC_PREFIX to be set. I was
setting it out of sight and mind in autoexec.bat. The way the specs file
is written, this caused a search of a bogus directory. gcc is silent
about this error, but could find the cygwin headers and used them
instead, resulting in some subtle errors. At least with cygwin-b20,
there must be no GCC_EXEC_PREFIX environment variable defined for it to
work correctly. Even resetting it to a null string and exporting it will
not work.

> > And finally a genreal guestion.  What is the general syntax, possible
> > options, possible values, etc. for the "specs file???  Is this documented
> > somewhere???

I have a 7k file that gives some details on the various % switches, but
it really isn't a very good overview. I can email it to anyone
interested, but I hope someone can point to a more definitive reference.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".