Subject: Tcl -> X11 -> Win32 ? Tcl -> Win32 (MkTclApp)
From: [email-masked] (Chris McFarlane)

3 Jan 1999 19:48:15 -0800
Message-ID: <19990103225514.EFTX678125.mta2-rme.cygnus.gnu-win32@chrismac>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: [email-masked]

It seems that mktclapp (http://www.hwaci.com/sw/mktclapp/mktclapp.html),
and tcl/tk itself, depend on having an X11 library and server available.
Apparently there is an X11 library/server available for the windows-32
platform. This then seems to indicate that tcl/tk commands are mapped onto
X11 functions, which are themselves mapped onto windows-32 functions :
(mktclapp)tcl->X11->windows32. Though desirable for ease of initial software
porting efforts, a requirement for an X11 server seems less than essential
in the medium to longterm, causing differences in GUI presentation (and
causing runtime overhead) which impacts on the "native" software produced
by important tools; mktclapp being an interesting example.

Does anyone know if any effort been made to allow +optional+ bypassing of
the dual mapping, of tcl->X11->windows32, to optionally achieve a
(mktclapp)tcl->windows mapping ?

Where would i look to obtain the inside story/faq on this ? 

Chris
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".