Subject: Re: termcap questions
From: [email-masked] (Christopher G. Faylor)

2 Jan 1999 04:22:40 GMT
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
X-Newsreader: trn 4.0-test63 (15 March 1998)

In article <[email-masked]>,
Corinna Vinschen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Kevin Bailey wrote:
>>I have cygwin 20.1, which is running great, and I want to download
>>and compile Joe's editor. But first I guess I should straighten
>>out the termcap stuff.
>>
>>Should/must I copy the termcap file under /cyg.../etc to /etc ?
>>Which entry would you recommend for doing cursor movement,
>>arrow keys and bold (but no color needed) in a DOS window
>>(NT console) ?  And lastly, I guess I set TERM=whatever ?
>>If anyone has actually done this, I'd appreciate any additional
>>suggestions or warnings.
>
>Yes, copy termcap to /etc and set TERM=cygwin.

In general, this is good advice, but there are a couple of additional
points I'd like to make:

1) You can use mount to mount your /cyg../etc file as /etc .  Personally
   I find that preferrable to having multiple copies of a file on my
   disk.

2) The libtermcap distributed in B20.1 defaults to an built-in table
   for the cygwin (or linux) term settings if it can't find a
   /etc/termcap file.  That means that if you have no intention of
   ever using another terminal type with whatever you're building you
   should be able to safely *delete* /etc/termcap and things should still
   work as expected.

-chris
-- 
[email-masked]
http://www.cygnus.com/