Subject: [ANNOUNCE] cron-2.9
From: [email-masked] (Corinna Vinschen)

1 Jan 1999 16:07:32 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi,

I like to announce a self written `cron' and `crontab' for cygwin,
which is downloadable from
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/porters/Vinschen_Corinna/B20

You will find the following files:

	cron-2.9.README
	cron-2.9.bin.tar.gz		binaries
	cron-2.9.src.tar.gz		sources

I have attached the README for more information.

Bug reports or suggestions always appreciated.

Regards,
Corinna

======================================================================================
   *cron 2.9*
   ----------

   - what is it?
     - periodically starts commands

   - system
     - Windows NT4 with cygwin1.dll

   - Cygwin
     - for B20
     - binary and text mount
     - CYGWIN=[all one]

   - preliminaries
     - nothing to do

   - configure
     - In Makefile, the three variables PWBUFSIZ, PWBUFPOS and PWKEYWORD
       should be set to new settings, only known by the administrator.

   - make
     - nothing to do

   - make install
     - Validate the install paths, given in Makefile.
     - Start cron as Windows NT service via SRVANY.EXE from NT Resource Kit.

   - notes
     - Unfortunately, no user is able to login as another user, without
       knowing the password. So cron has to know the password. To give
       minimum security, the passwords are written into the file
       /var/cron/pwf with DES encryption, configurable on compile time
       (See `configure' above). The crontab command supports the input
       of user passwords automatically. Note that the cron commands will
       not be executed, after a users password is changed. In this case,
       the user has to start crontab once, to inform cron about the new
       password.
     - The current version doesn't support neither syslog nor mailing.
       The standard output and standard error are redirected by default to
       $HOME/.cron.stdout and $HOME/.cron.stderr. This is of course
       overridable in the crontab file.
     - The ideas for extensions `steps' and `day and month names' are leant
       from Vixie cron V3.0.1.  Thanks to Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
     - The source files CString.cc and CString.h provide an API to the
       MFC class CString, which is derived from standard c++ library
       class `string' here. Feel free, to use it in other projects.

   - package availability
     - on ftp.franken.de
     - in /pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin32/porters/Vinschen_Corinna/B20
     - as cron-2.9.src.tar.gz

   - contributed by
     - [email-masked] (Corinna Vinschen)
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".