Subject: Q: 'less' pager & escape sequences
From: [email-masked]

1 Jan 1999 15:56:23 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I've noticed that:  ls --color | less doesn't work as it should--or as I wish
it would.  The ANSI escape sequences to effect the color changes aren't passed
thru to the display like I want them to be.  less replaces ^[ with ESC and
echoes *that* to the screen.  There have been a few times when this is what I
actually wanted (i.e., when browsing thru a script that uses escape
sequences), but more often than not, I want the display to get these signals.
Is there some switch to less to accomplish this?  ls -la --color makes a nice
printout, but it is useless to me if I can't keep it from scrolling off the
display somehow, you know?
--
Dave Wolfe
gForce Technologies Inc.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".