Subject: Re: b20.1: build question
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

31 Dec 1998 09:19:12 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <179AA48D1741D211821700805FFE241873CA83@HQMAIL02>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Kevin Schnitzius <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

> 1.  Download dev-src_tar.b2
> 2.  Uncompress and untar it.
> 3.  From a new obj directory, type 'configure --host=i586-pc-cygwin32
> --prefix=/install'
> 3a. Muck about with the newlib configuration to get it to work.
> 4.  Do a 'make'
> 5.  Drop the obj/i586-pc-cygwin32/winsup/new-cygwin1.dll into my current
> toolset?
> 
> This doesn't seem to work -- I get access violations immediately.  Is this
> supposed to work?  Or, do I have to build everything from the same
> source with the same compiler?

I don't understand step 3a.  You should do ths configure, then just
type make.  At the correct point it will go and configure and make
newlib then winsup.  newlib shouldn't need any special mucking about.

And yes, you should be able to just take the newly rebuilt
new-cygwin1.dll and install it in the old install location as
cygwin1.dll and make things work (I'm assuming your tools are of B20
or 20.1 vintage).

> Also, I was unable to do a 'make install' which failed during gcc
> installation.

Run make with -k?  It should be a clean install except for makeinfo
failing perhaps.

-- 
Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".