Subject: Re: Opinions on Anders Norlander's new headers/libs?
From: [email-masked] (bowman)

29 Dec 1998 23:28:10 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Mumit Khan wrote:
> 
> I'd like opinion from folks who're using it right now and hopefully we can
> pinpoint the various missing pieces, if any outside of the TODO list, and
> bugs in the headers.

So far, so good. The apps I compiled with the new headers and libraries
include a generic Windows app employing some mci functions, tool &
status bars, and some DirectX apps. For those, I am using my own patched
headers from the PlatformSDK and matching import libs.

1. In mmsystem.h, I added the additional defines for SEEK_SET, SEEK_CUR,
and SEEK_END. Also, to prevent redefinitions, I put conditionals around
_WAVEFORMATEX_ and MAKEFOURCC. 

2. I added a typedef for LPGUID in basetyps.h, where the rest of the
UUID stuff lives.

3. In the declaration for CreateStatusWindow in commctrl.h, the fourth
parameter is UINT, not UINT*.

4. I had linking errors to libwinmm.a for 'mciSendStringA'. I created a
new import lib for that one also.

5. Most existing applications for windows use #include <windows.h> in
the resource file to pick up all the defines. windows.h #includes
winresrc.h, which in the current Platform pulls in commctrl.rh and
several other pure definition files. In this package, winresrc just
includes windows.h again. Various things do not get #define'd, and
windres dies. 

6. I could download the gz files for the headers and the import libs,
but several attempts at the source package got a corrupted file that
wouldn't unzip.

I'd like to thank Anders Norlander. I had tried a couple of schemes for
using patched versions of the PlatformSDK headers, but it wasn't very
smooth. The headers with the b20 distribution had partial definitions of
many of the current files, which resulted in many conflicts. For
instance, PlaySound would be declared, but none of the other mmsystem.h
declarations would be included, or PROPSHEETPAGE would be a little
different. For straight ming windows work, this is a lot more
convenient.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".