Subject: Re: inetutils, resolv.h, ports of similar programs, etc :)
From: [email-masked] (Warren Young)

29 Dec 1998 20:32:40 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

At 04:56 PM 12/28/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Now my question : What package does resolv.h belong to ? Is it portable ?

This is part of libresolv, which the BIND package provides.  You can either
port the BIND package, or start with Software.com's port of BIND, available
from this address:

	http://www.software.com/products/bindnt.html

>Also, I tried to compile a few packages now, and wondered what would be the
>best way to install them into the environment ... ncurses, for example.
>Where do I put the files ? /usr/local/* or /cygwin-b20/... or ... ? I just

I personally would use /usr/local, because when Cygwin b21 comes out, it
will install in a different directory, and then you'd have to comb through
the b20 directories to find all the stuff you added to them to copy them
over to the b21 directory.

>want to make sure that the packages compiling on top of those libs
>(termcap, ncurses, etc) can find them and their respective include files ...

Putting them under the b20 directory would make this easier, but it's
almost as easy to add -L and -I options to your compiling command lines to
add to the default library and include paths.  Plus, most "configure"
scripts let you set these directories for the entire project.  You usually
either set the INCLUDE and LIB environment variables, or you pass a
GNU-style "--" option to them (--include-path?).

Good luck,

= Warren -- http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/
= ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m
=
= Calm down.  It's only ones and zeros.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".