Subject: inetutils, resolv.h, ports of similar programs, etc :)
From: [email-masked] (mxs)

28 Dec 1998 18:15:51 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: [email-masked]

Hi everyone ...

I'm quite new to cygwin32 (compiled maybe 2-3 packages with it ;), and have
a few questions ...

I want to compile the inetutils (or at least telnet) ... I compiled ncurses
and termcap as described in the ports list, but now I'm stuck. I tried to
compile telnet alone first (after ./configure, which ran flawlessly), but
it needs the libs provided by the rest of the package. After starting the
compile for those libs, gcc quit complaining about a missing resolv.h ...
Dumb as I am I tried to include it from Linux, yielding a few more missing
files ;) 

Now my question : What package does resolv.h belong to ? Is it portable ?

Or : How has the inetutils package listed on the ports page on the cygwin
page been compiled ? Stripping out the resolving part ?

Also, I tried to compile a few packages now, and wondered what would be the
best way to install them into the environment ... ncurses, for example.
Where do I put the files ? /usr/local/* or /cygwin-b20/... or ... ? I just
want to make sure that the packages compiling on top of those libs
(termcap, ncurses, etc) can find them and their respective include files ...

Maybe it would be a good idea to add these question to the FAQ or to a
getting started page (Which I would do just for the sake of it IF I get it
to work ;)

Greetings
  mxs
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".