Subject: Re: c++ and -mno-cygwin
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

24 Dec 1998 21:38:14 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Serguei DACHIAN'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

On Wed, Dec 23, 1998 at 07:57:49PM +0100, Bernard DAUTREVAUX wrote:
[...]
> HOWEVER, the other libXXX.a that you will link with may need cygwin.dll! the 
> -mno-cygwin flag should select another set of libraries compiled
> also with the -mno-cygwin flag set. The problem is that these
> libraries are not provided

Yeah, this is a problem.  As it is, 20.1 with -mno-cygwin is
problematic for C++ coding since the provided libstdc++ is built with
Cygwin.  In principle the sources could be set up for something we
call multi-libbing where libstdc++ and libiberty would be built twice,
once with Cygwin and once without but this is a real pain to do and
most development inside Cygnus is in C so this may not happen soon
unless someone on the Net works on this and sends me a patch.

More than this, I really, really want to do away with having two
separate toolchains though (mingw and Cygwin).  Unfortunately, it
would be time consuming to make the use of Cygwin off by default and
add the hooks to all of our tools so that it's included and that would
make porting Unix software harder.  But on the other hand, it would
make native development easier and that makes more inherent sense to
me as the default for the Win32 config of gcc.  Most of this stuff
isn't hard to do but it would take a fair amount of effort.

Volunteers welcome as always...

Happy holidays to everyone around the globe!

-- 
Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".