Subject: Strange ls -CF problem
From: [email-masked] (Moore, Paul)

23 Dec 1998 15:34:50 -0800
Message-ID: <c=UK%a=_%p=Origin-it%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "'Gnu Win32'" <[email-masked]>

Hi,
I've got a strange problem with ls -CF. I'm running ls on Windows 95,
from the COMMAND.COM prompt, not bash. My CYGWIN variable is unset.

If I do ls -CF C:/, then I get exactly the results I expect. However, if
I do ls -CF C:\, then ls runs VERY slowly, and produces a series of
lines

/CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN/LS.EXE: C:\/IO.SYS: No such device or
address
/CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN/LS.EXE: C:\/DRVSPACE.BIN: No such device
or address
/CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN/LS.EXE: C:\/WINDOWS: No such device or
address
/CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN/LS.EXE: C:\/CONFIG.OLD: No such device or
address
/CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN/LS.EXE: C:\/CONFIG.SYS: No such device or
address
/CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN/LS.EXE: C:\/LOGO.SYS: No such device or
address
/CYGNUS/CYGWIN~1/H-I586~1/BIN/LS.EXE: C:\/Program Files: No such device
or address

Obviously, something is wrong here - but what, exactly?

Presumably support for backslashes in filenames is broken somehow. Is
this a known bug? It only appears when the directory name ends with a \
- ls -CF C:\WINDOWS works fine.

Paul Moore.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".