Subject: B19, performance using fopen()/fclose() on FAT16
From: [email-masked] (John Blanton)

23 Dec 1998 09:09:21 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Conducting performance tests of several porting tools we noticed
dramatically poor performance for the following case using FAT16 on
Windows NT:

    for (count = 0; count < (int) REPETITIONS; count++)

    {

        fi = fopen("testfiles/file1", "a");

        fclose(fi);

    }

REPETITIONS is set to 100,000.  The test requires over an hour to
complete.  There is constant disk activity.  Here are some test timings:

GNU-Win32           398.3
Linux (FAT)                6.2
Linux (Linux FS)          6.1
U/WIN                      41.0
Win32                       14.8

The times are in seconds and are combined user and system time as
reported by the UNIX time utility.  Wall clock time for GNU-Win32 is
over an hour, as mentioned.

The tests were conducted again using NTFS on Windows NT, and the time
for GNU-Win32 dropped to about 70 seconds, still much higher than the
others.

John Blanton
Alcatel Corporate Research Center
Richardson, TX
972-996-2956

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".