Subject: Re: %.o: %.c - case sensitive
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

22 Dec 1998 18:23:46 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: Sheetal Gangakhedkar <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

On 21 Dec 1998, Sheetal Gangakhedkar wrote:

> After a lot of testing, I was able to find the problem. The problem seems to occur when the makefile looks for a filename or path match when it expands the expressions of kind "%.o" or "%.c".  It only tries to look for files that are lower case. 
> 
> How is everybody getting around this bug? Should'nt the win32 version be case insensitive?

I have *never* run into this bug simply because all our software is
developed on Unix and then simply tar'd or CVS'd over to win32 so
that the case is the same. The same Makefiles work like a charm.

> Any input would be appreciated.

The trouble is that make uses strcmp after the filenames are munged
appropriately for various platforms (eg., DOS and VMS needs the munging)
part. However, for win32, it's more or less left in the same state and
hence strcmp can't match it. I remember looking at this a while back
and my conclusion was that a minor tweak to make.h to change the
definition of "streq" for win32 to handle filenames case insensitively
should fix the problem. The caveat here is that I didn't look into it
enough to know what else might break in the process.

Regards,
Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".