Subject: Announcing: run-1.1.4
From: [email-masked] (Charles Wilson)

20 Dec 1998 01:28:07 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hello, all -
    With help from others on this list and the xemacs list, I've
rewritten runemacs to become generic launcher program called run.exe.
Run will launch native and cygwin apps from the commandline or from a
Windows shortcut, without (a) freezing your current command shell (sure,
you could use '&' and run in background, but that doesn't yet work in
all shells, and requires 'CYGWIN=tty' I think) or (b) popping up a dummy
console window. It's been tested under B19.4 and B20.1. Run is released
under the GPL, and you can get it at:

ftp://belgarion.resnet.gatech.edu/pub/run/run-1.1.4.tar.gz

ftp://belgarion.resnet.gatech.edu/pub/run/run-1.1.4.zip

The tarball (zip-ball?) is < 70kB, and includes source, makefiles, and
three prebuilt executables: one for cygwin B19, one for cygwin B20, and
one for native MSWin. (This is not to imply that the native version
can't launch cygwin programs, or that the cygwin version can't launch
native ones. Both run.exe's work fine with cygwin/non-cygwin programs.
The native version was intended as a slightly more functional version of
XEmacs' runemacs and rungnuclient proglets for the native XEmacs build.
The cygwin versions are intended mainly for setting up desktop and Start
Menu shortcuts to things like rxvt, which use console mode and give
those dummy console windows.

Features:

o    "run my_prog"  will search for my_prog in the current directory,
the directory in which run.exe was found, or the $PATH
o    you can specify relative and absolute pathnames: "run
/usr/local/my_stuff/my_prog" or "run ./down_one/my_prog"
o    "run my_prog" attempts to launch "my_prog" and then looks for
"my_prog.exe"
o    cygwin only: run groks symlinks. The path to my_prog can contain
symlinks, and my_prog can also be a symlink
o    rename run.exe to runmy_prog.exe. Executing runmy_prog will search
the path and launch my_prog [1]

Anyway, please try it out. If you have any problems, bug reports, praise
<g> please email me at [email-masked]; I'm off the list for a
while to reduce bandwith when checking mail while on vacation.

--Chuck Wilson

[1] This is useful if you want, for instance, to have my_prog be one of
the choices when you double click on an unassociated filetype, and
Windows asks what program you would like to use to open it. Simple
example for cygwin-xemacs: rename run.exe to rungnuclient.exe. Using
Explorer, associate .el files with rungnuclient. Start xemacs, and M-x
start-gnuserv. Now, double click on a .el file, and it'll be opened by
xemacs. But, double click on, say, a .pl perlfile, assuming .pl is
unassociated. Windows barfs, and asks what program to use to open that
..pl file, and rungnuclient is one of the choices. Select it, and xemacs
will open it. BTW, gnuclient, gnuserv, and xemacs questions are probably
beyond my feeble understanding, so if you have questions about _them_
you ought to ask the nice folks on the [email-masked] list.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".