Subject: RE: DON'T LAUGH!!!
From: [email-masked] (Colin Peters)

18 Dec 1998 02:25:58 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>

This should be in the FAQ somewhere. It doesn't get asked that frequently
anymore, but it would still be nice to save people who hope to use this with
Win32s and Win 3.x the pain of downloading and finding out it doesn't work.
Actually, I thought it was in a FAQ somewhere, but I couldn't find it in a
quick review of the Cygwin project site, so I don't think it is placed
prominently enough...

Alan Grimes <[email-masked]> wrote:

>I'm kindof emberased to ask this but I really need a DOS readable archive
of the
>project... Specifically, If you could pkzip anything that resembles a BFD
>library or a linker and the associated documentation and anything else that
you
>think will help an aspiring OS maker and send it on to my addy, I will be
MOST
>gratefull! :)

I think you want to check out DJGPP. That is the DOS port of gcc. There's a
link off the Related Sites part of the Cygwin project page, down at the
bottom.

>PS, I spent 2 hours downloading the darn "full.exe" form the FTP and my
version
>of Win32S (for win 3.11) didn't like it! GEE THANKS!!! C'mon, if you are
going
>to package something as a self extracting .exe please make sure any moron
>dragging his 3 year old computer with PC-DOS 7.0 and win 3.11 over 28.8 can
make
>use of it! Sheesh!

[snip]

Cygwin is a Win32 project and it says on the project page "tools for Windows
NT, 95 and 98", notice the conspicuous absence of Win32s or Windows 3.11.
Even if the extractor itself could run under 3.11 with Win32s, the programs
inside are not (generally) going to work with that setup. That said, I do
think it should be noted more conspicuously that Win32s is *not* supported
(even by the extractor apparently).

Colin.

- Colin Peters - colin at fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp
- http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162/index.html
- Go not to usenet for counsel, for it will say both
- 'yes' and 'no' and 'try another newsgroup'.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".