Subject: Re: /dev in B20.1
From: DJ Delorie <[email-masked]>

16 Dec 1998 10:47:23 -0500
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en] (X11; I; Linux 2.1.126 i586)
X-Accept-Language: en

JJ Streicher-Bremer wrote:
> 
> I just downloaded and installed the user tools version 20.1.  What a
> wonderful difference.  sshd runs better than ever before (faster more
> stable)!  Now I have a question about the /dev folder.  The user tools
> don't create it, yet there are quite a few messages about things in the
> /dev folder.  How do I go about creating these special files?  The main
> reason for this is to get syslogd working.

The files in /dev that cygwin1.dll refers to are synthetic - they
don't actually exist on your file system (unlike unix).  When your
program tries to use a file in /dev, cygwin intercepts the request
and handles it internally.

You can still create a /dev directory and put files in it, but they
won't be interpreted as special files.  If you need additional special
files in /dev, you'll probably have to modify cygwin1.dll to support
them.

Which special file do you need for sshd?