Subject: Re: Updating to B20.1
From: [email-masked] (Dr. Volker Zell)

15 Dec 1998 18:21:32 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0 (generated by SEMI 1.9.0 - "Isurugi")
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Sergey Okhapkin <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
        [email-masked]

    >> B20-built applications do not need to be rebuilt when you
    >> upgrade to 20.1.  (In fact, you should be able to rename the
    >> B20 (or 20.1) cygwin1.dll to cygwinb19.dll and continue to use
    >> your old Cygwin B19 applications with the new library).

I found that this is true, for all my executables which are *not* using
X11R6.4 Dll's.

I compiled the latest X11R6.4 release with patch levels 1-3
applied and the patch from Sergey. Everything builds fine, except the
program bitmap is dumping core when executing.

  vzell:/tmp> bitmap
  Warning: Cannot convert string "menu12" to type Pixmap
  Warning: Cannot convert string "FlipHoriz" to type Pixmap
  Warning: Cannot convert string "Term" to type Pixmap
  [main] D:\usr\X11R6.4\bin\bitmap.exe 1037 (0) handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
  [main] bitmap 1037 (0) handle_exceptions: Dumping stack trace to bitmap.exe.core
  vzell:/tmp> 

But I cannot execute B19 compiled (latest coolview) X11 programs with
these new DLL's. They seem to depend on the B19 compiled X11-DLL's.

Here is a typical core dump which occurs when executing a X11 program:

  vzell:/tmp> gs
  Aladdin Ghostscript 5.10 (1997-11-23)
  Copyright (C) 1997 Aladdin Enterprises, Menlo Park, CA.  All rights reserved.
  This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
  [main] D:\usr\local\bin\gs.exe 1038 (0) handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
  [main] gs 1038 (0) handle_exceptions: Dumping stack trace to gs.exe.core

Also the typical windows Error message box, talks about::    
 bla, bla the action 'read' could not be executed on memory , bla bla bla

Is this the way it should work or is something wrong with my X11 build ????

Yes, I copied cygwin1.dll to cygwinb19.dll as suggested.

My workaround is that I recompiled all my X11 apps again with my new
build of X11R6.4 and everything seems to work :-)

I have just  one problem with the compilation of Ghostscript

 ghostscript-5.50 - ftp://ftp.cs.wisc.edu/ghost/aladdin/gs550/

Everything compiles except the following file:

gcc `cat ./obj/cc.tr`  -O2 -Wall -Wcast-qual -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wwrite-strings  -I. -I./obj  -o ./obj/gp_unifs.o -c ./gp_unifs.c
../gp_unifs.c:99: parse error before `DIR'
../gp_unifs.c:99: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
../gp_unifs.c:103: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../gp_unifs.c:103: initializer element for `dirstack_enum_ptrs[0].offset' is not constant
../gp_unifs.c:103: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
../gp_unifs.c:106: parse error before `DIR'
../gp_unifs.c:106: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
../gp_unifs.c:116: parse error before `}'
../gp_unifs.c:118: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../gp_unifs.c:118: initializer element for `file_enum_enum_ptrs[0].offset' is not constant
../gp_unifs.c:118: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../gp_unifs.c:118: initializer element for `file_enum_enum_ptrs[1].offset' is not constant
../gp_unifs.c:118: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../gp_unifs.c:118: initializer element for `file_enum_enum_ptrs[2].offset' is not constant
../gp_unifs.c:118: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
../gp_unifs.c: In function `popdir':
../gp_unifs.c:159: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../gp_unifs.c:163: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../gp_unifs.c:163: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../gp_unifs.c:164: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
../gp_unifs.c:164: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

and so on

I applied also Sergeys B19 patch for gs5.10. In B19 times compilation
went fine, so what is wrong today ???

    >> Sergey has been doing us all a big favor by providing builds of
    >> the latest Cygnus development snapshot of Cygwin with the
    >> latest bug fixes to the net, often with additional patches of
    >> his own.  Although these are not official Cygnus releases, they
    >> are of use to a lot of people when serious bugs are fixed in
    >> development sources but an updated DLL from Cygnus hasn't been
    >> made available yet (usually because of time contraints).

Why is Sergeys Mixed-Case-Patch not included in the official release ???

Ciao
  Volker
-- 
___________________________________________________________________________

   "Is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse ..."

                                                 Dr. Volker Zell
      __ /  _  /  __  / ___/  /    ___/          -- Senior Dozent --
     /  /  /__/  /_  / /     /    __/            Oracle Germany
   ____/__/ _|__/ __/____/ ____/____/            Paul-Thomas-Str.58 
                                                 D-40599 D|sseldorf
   e-Mail: mailto:[email-masked]
   WWW:    http://trgsund4.de.oracle.com/
   Tel:    (+49) 211-74839-414                   
   Fax:    (+49) 211-74839-44
___________________________________________________________________________

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily 
represent those of Oracle Corporation.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".