Subject: Re: egcs-1.1 windows headers cause compilation failure in cygwin b20
From: [email-masked] (Robert Pluim)

15 Dec 1998 15:01:46 -0800
Message-ID: <13942.5656.40000.898019.cygnus.gnu-win32@LTRPLUIM>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Martin von Loewis <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

>>>>> "Martin" == Martin von Loewis <[email-masked]> writes:

    >> 1. Why is this windows stuff getting included when I'm not
    >>    asking for
    >> it?

    Martin> You are using <direct.h>. This *is*, more or less,
    Martin> 'windows stuff'.

OK.

    >> 2. Isn't this namespace pollution? I must admit I'm not au-fait
    >>    with
    >> all the various standards, and I realise it might all be
    >> Microsoft's fault, but couldn't this stuff at least be #ifdef'd
    >> somehow?

    Martin> Same answer. You are using a non-standard header, what do
    Martin> you expect?  Seriously, the standards say what you may
    Martin> define in standard headers.  <direct.h> is not a standard,
    Martin> so it could define anything.

I was afraid you'd say that, and I can't disagree (I still think we
should blame Microsoft though ;-). Oh well, off to patch cvs, I think.

Thanks

Robert
-- 
Robert Pluim                                 Tel:  +33 4 92 96 17 43
Systems Development Engineer                 Fax:  +33 4 92 96 15 32
<URL: mailto:[email-masked]>
Bay Networks EMEA,  25 Allee Pierre Ziller,  06560 Valbonne,  France

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".