Subject: Directory Stucture under B20.1
From: [email-masked] (Daniel Karipides)

11 Dec 1998 21:12:41 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

I have a question concerning the directory tree structure that works best
with cygwin B20.1.  I am trying a new setup.  I have dedicated a 2GB drive
to cygwin and cygwin alone.  My desire is to set up the directory structure
to facilitate the porting and installation of unix programs.

I found message:

http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32/1998-Nov/0614.html

and read with interest the web pages it suggested:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ .

I now have some questions.  B20.1 was installed in:

F:\cygnus\cygwin-b20

I realize that I could have chosen F:\ and it would have installed in

F:\cygwin-b20

Regardless, I am wondering how this would fit in to the "standard"
directory structure detailed in the web page.  Some specific questions:

(1) There are /etc and /share directories under cygwin-b20.  However,
FHS suggests that /share should be under /usr/share.  Should I make a
usr directory as F:\usr\share?  Or should I mount
F:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\share as /usr/share?  Should I make a F:\etc
directory or mount /etc to F:\cygnus\cygwin-b20\etc?  I am wary of
making the mounts, because if I install other programs and then
upgrade b20, then I loose those files.  

(2) Similarly for the man and info directories--where should they go?
I've seen some mention of untarring them into the cygwin-b20 directory.
I assume the are then mounted to /usr/info and /usr/man?  

Is there a difference in performance between making the directory and
mounting the directory?  I would guess not, but would appreciate any
insight.

Thanks in advance,

-Dan Karipides
--------
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".