Subject: Re: CHMOD not changing mode
From: [email-masked] (Larry Hall RFK Partners Inc)

11 Dec 1998 02:56:20 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: [email-masked] (Larry Hall RFK Partners Inc)
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/enriched; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
To: "Holger Szillat" <[email-masked]>,
        <[email-masked]>

We need to get this clearly spelled out in the FAQ.  The "EA DATA. SF"
file

is only used on FAT partitions IF the "ntea" flag is set in the CYGWIN

environment variable.  If "ntea" is not set or if the partition is=20
NTFS,

the "EA DATA. SF" file is NOT used at all.  "ntea" MUST be set for chmod
to

have any effect on permissions.  "EA DATA. SF" will be created on all
FAT

partitions that the Cygwin tools use if "ntea" is set, including
floppies.

This file can grow VERY large and deleting it requires you to be=20
outside

Windows.  There are no special permissions on the "EA DATA. SF" file
AFAIK.

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]

RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053

8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX

Wellesley, MA  02482-7797               http://www.rfk.com

At 02:48 PM 12/9/98 +0100, Holger Szillat wrote:=20

>>>>

<excerpt><fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Hi folks,

by the way, I saw this behaviour of chmod on my WinNT/Cygnus B20 also and
it still drives me crazy. I tried to make a shell-script executable and
though chmod did not complain, the mode did not change at all.

</smaller></fontfamily> =20

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>I recently read that the
EADATA.SF-file is used by the Cygnus-Tools to store the stuff associated
with a file. Could it be, that this file is normally not writable for a
non-Admin user and therefore the attributes do not change ?? (Couldn't
try it out at my computer yet, so just an idea ... :-)

</smaller></fontfamily> =20

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Bye,

Holger Szillat

</smaller></fontfamily> =20

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>-----Urspr=FCngliche
Nachricht-----

Von: Michael Hirmke <<<<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]>

An: <<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]
<<<<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]>

Datum: Mittwoch, 9. Dezember 1998 13:50

Betreff: Re: CHMOD not changing mode

 </smaller></fontfamily>>Hi Brian,

>

>[...]

>>I am trying to change the mode of a file to 777 using "chmod -v 777

>>output.dat"

>>Chmod reports:

>>"mode of output.dat changed to 0777 (rwxrwxrwx)"

>>But the file mode does not change, as evidenced by an ls -l.

>>

>>Any tricks or simple solutions?

>

>Sure you are using the Cygnus chmod ?

>This one normally doesn't tell you that it has changed mode.

>

>>

>>Thanks,

>>

>>Brian

>

>Bye.

>Michael.

>--

>Michael Hirmke           | Telefon +49 (911) 557999

>Georg-Strobel-Strasse 81 | FAX     +49 (911) 557664

>90489 Nuernberg          | E-Mail=20
<<mailto:[email-masked]>mailto:[email-masked]

>                         | WWW   =20
<<http://aquarius.franken.de/>http://aquarius.franken.de/

>-

>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message
to

>"<<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]"
with one line of text: "help".

>=20

</excerpt><<<<<<<<

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".