Subject: chmod and ftp'ed files....
From: [email-masked] (Jose I. Cabrera)

11 Dec 1998 00:10:32 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

I ftp'ed some files to my GNU home directory from a UNIX box.  I
have tried to set some of those ftp'ed files to executable by 
using chmod +x fn or chmod 755 fn (where fn=ftp'ed filename).  The
command is being processed, but it is not being executed.  Does
anyone has any idea why?  I am running NT4SP3.

Here are some reflections of the output:

<12:39:18> <59>ls -l typeg
-rw-r--r--   1 0        everyone       24 Dec  4 14:26 typeg
<12:39:30> <60>
<12:39:30> <60>chmod 755 typeg
<12:40:19> <61>ls -l typeg
-rw-r--r--   1 0        everyone       24 Dec  4 14:26 typeg
<12:40:26> <62>chmod +x typeg
<12:48:50> <63>ls -l typeg
-rw-r--r--   1 0        everyone       24 Dec  4 14:26 typeg
<12:48:55> <64>

The normal execution bits should look like: 
<12:49:44> <65>ls  -l newlogs
-rwxr-xr-x   1 0        everyone       53 Dec  3 13:00 newlogs
<12:50:19> <66>

so, why is this happening?  Here is something, if I create a
new file, and put whatever is in typeg, and do chmod, it will
create an executable.

any ideas?

please reply with my address on it.  It gets too me 12 hours
faster.

thanks.

-- 

Hasta pronto.....!!!
Y como dice mi pa'i, "Mecedora!!"

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
!!                 jose.....El Dominicano Americano Ausente.    !!
!!    These are my opinions and not my employer's.              !!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".