Subject: wtmp logging - talkd can't find users logged on
From: [email-masked] (Mika Löf)

10 Dec 1998 04:12:20 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

 I managed to compile GNU Inetutils 1.3a (with Sergey's diffs) and talkd.
However talkd doesn't seem to find any users logged on my system? Is it looking
in wtmp as I'm suspecting? 
(Talk from my system to a Linux system works, but not the other way!)
 I installed "login" on the system, which seems to do some wtmp logging, but
then talk says "user is refusing messages" which means /dev/tty? or /dev/conin
is read only by owner(?) Is there a way of changing /dev/<my-tty> to write by
others too? Or what am I missing?

root@phobos ~ $ ls -l /dev/tty0 /dev/conin /dev/tty
crw-r--r--   1 0        everyone   5,   0 Dec  9 20:32 /dev/tty0
cr--r--r--   1 0        everyone   2,   0 Dec  9 20:32 /dev/conin
crw-r--r--   1 0        everyone   1,   0 Dec  9 20:38 /dev/tty

Shouldn't these be write by others too in order for talkd to function?

Oh, yes, I'm running NT 4.0 SP4 with "CYGWIN=ntea" but can't change mode of
/dev/<whatever> anyway. Other files I can chmod as usual.

"The only stupid question is the unasked one."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".