Subject: Re: EA DATA.SF file on NT
From: [email-masked] (Ares)

4 Dec 1998 12:38:53 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> 
>  Can anyone tell me what will happen if I delete my 450 Meg EA DATA.SF
> file?

EA_DATA.SF is a file used to simulate NT file permissions and ACL's on a
FAT partition. It started in the days of OS/2 for simulating HPFS ACL's on
a FAT partition. Most likely, it contains all of the security settings for
your NT %SYSTEM_ROOT% directory, etc. Deleting it will give you 2 things:
450MB more disk space and more importantly, all of the security on your NT
root directory will be gone, meaning anyone who has access to the machine
can delete, modify, move, etc. any of the NT system files.

> 
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
> "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
> 

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".