Subject: Re: gcc installation with NT
From: [email-masked] (Stephen L Arnold)

3 Dec 1998 03:50:50 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <000901be1d00$82c69350$cac8c8c8@mindspring>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: "Fred Marshall" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

On 30 Nov 98, Fred Marshall had questions about gcc installation 
with NT:

> I started with the idea of installing g77.  I understand that it
> requires B19 - which is what I have.  I also understand that it
> requires gcc.  OK. I also understand that gcc requires djgpp to
> install under Windows.
> 
> I'm running Win NT 4 SP3 and want to install g77.

I don't understand; AFAIK, djgpp and cygwin are completely 
different setups (djgpp is a 32bit DOS port of gcc, while cygwin is 
a unix-like dll and all the associated gnu tools, gcc, etc.

If you have the cygwin b19, you just need the coolview .dll and the 
egcs update (the latter has gcc, g++, and g77 support).  There are 
a few library bugs/features in the cygwin stuff that don't quite 
conform to either the C standard or the normal GNU extensions.  
Unless you need the cygwin .dll (ie, for unix compatibility), you'd 
be better off using the mingw32 stuff; at least the stdlib stuff 
works right.  Check out the following stuff (the gcc 2.8.1 works 
for me):

http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html

Hope this helps, Steve

*************************************************************
Steve Arnold                            [email-masked]
                                 http://www.rain.org/~sarnold
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons.  You should
also recycle yourself.  Become an organ donor (8-)@
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".