Subject: Re: B20: @arg expansion change problem
From: [email-masked] (Jan)

30 Nov 1998 20:27:36 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

>[email-masked] wrote, and <[email-masked] answered:
>ex:
>       rm a
>       touch @a ->'@a' created
>       rm @a
>       echo e f g > a
>       touch @a ->'e','f','g' created instead of '@a'
>                  this wasn't the case in pre-b20.
>
>As I use make for several dos/windows compilers,
>I need a way to tunnel the '@' through command lines

<Unfortunately this is a change that was requested by our customers. 
<The
<obvious workaround is to use ./@file .  There is no CYGWIN setting to
<control this.

Sorry, this workaround won't really help. The dos compilers use an
argument starting with @ for exactly the same thing you try to emulate,
but without really expanding it into the command line. This is needed
because of the DOS limit of 128 command line chars. A ./@file won't be
expanded by them, and @file now creates too long command lines.

An environment var for controlling this (or registry or... or...) seems
kind of necessary for all those who use cygwin together with older SW.
Shouldn't be impossible to do, should it? I wouldn't mind the default
being "expand '@'", so those who wanted the change wouldn't even notice
that step backwards...

js
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".