Subject: Re: GVIM5.3, CYGWin Beta20 problem
From: [email-masked] (raf)

29 Nov 1998 20:50:02 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Steve arnold wrote:

raf wrote:

>> >> yes, when running gvim as something like "gvim &" from /bin/bash.
>> >> then, everytime i quite vim, bash dies as well.
>> >> [...workaround skipped...]

>And I said:

>> >Just launch rxvt from the DOS bash, and then run everthing else
>> >from (one or more) rxvt's (the environments seem to be quite
>> >different, but I'm not at the level where I can figure out what and
>> >why...)

>Then raf said:

>> oops. yes, the above does refer to bash in an xterm. i should have
>> said.

>How are your vim environment vars set?  Using the DOS path, or the 
>unix-style path?  I installed the gvim for win32, mounted the 
>directory under /usr, put a link in /usr/bin to the gvim 
>executable, and set /usr/gvim-5.3 in my .bash_profile.  How did you 
>do it?

i've got both the win32 version and the cygwin-compiled version of vim.

the win32 version knows nothing about mount points or symbolic links
so what you described above won't work well. vim examines the $VIM
variable, so it must be a dos/windows/nt style path when vim is the
win32 version. similarly, it must a unix style path when vim is the
cywin version. you'd be better off just installing the win32 vim as
a win32 application (e.g. in C:\vim-5.3, not in /usr/bin).

i installed the cygwin-compiled version of [g]vim in /usr/local. it's
$VIM variable is a unix style path.

raf

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".