Subject: Re: BASH history
From: [email-masked] (Weiqi Gao)

28 Nov 1998 09:29:47 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> Does it matter whether I use slashes or backslashes for
> F:\Compilers\Cygnus\B20\BASH -   F:/Compilers/Cygnus/B20/BASH?
> Does Bash "start" in this directory, too, meaning i have to cd .. when I
> want to go to the root?

Bash knows about both the forward and the backward slashes, as long as
it is a valid directory.  Bash will start in the directory where you
typed the "bash" command.  However, a plain "cd" command issued while
you are inside bash will bring you to the $HOME directory.  If you are
accustomed to using the "cd" command to check what the current directory
is, as is the case in NT, you will make this mistake for quite a while
(maybe a week or so).  To get back to where you were, you issue the "cd
-" command.  The command for checking out what the current directory is
is "pwd".  Or better yet, put "\w" or "\W" in your PS1 environment
variable, (along with some other goodies like "\h", "\#" and "\$"), and
the current directory will be part of the prompt.

You can get this information from the documentation that some with your
copy of bash, which, along with the source code, should be located in
the same place where you downloaded your copy of bash.

--
Weiqi Gao
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".