Subject: RE: Newbie questions .
From: [email-masked]

27 Nov 1998 11:33:33 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
To: Ugo Matrangolo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Hi, I'm a newbie, too, and I want to share my experiences with you.
I was not able to compile my "Hello World!" in MSVC within 30 minutes, thus
I angrily uninstalled it.
Borland C++ builder, however, instantly became my favourite develoment
program.
Maybe I'll give M$VC another shot at a later time ;-)

Thou hast written:

U>I used for some time the borland c++ builder and visual c++ . Wat are
U>the differences between these monsters and the cyg-win32 ? Wat can i do
U>with MSVC++/BB that i cannot do with cyg-win32 ?
Okay, first, the Borland C++Builder has this "Object inspector" gadget
which I find kind of neat.
Also, you can profile, debug and "trace into" your code anytime, anywhere.

The GNU debugger sort of makes this pretty complicated, and I think you can
totally forget about profiling.
I usually resort to "printf"-debugging - outputting the troubled var is
usually easier for beginners than using the GNU debugger.

2nd: I don't think you can do visual progrmming in cygwin32. (Klick & Run).
If not, someone may yell aloud and tell me the secret how to do it.

On the other hand, the advantage of CygWin32 (and MinGW32, which I use in
combination with it) is, that it's
ABSOLUTELY FREE! It's smaller than the "monsters" (30-50 Megs total), and
the EGCS-MinGW32 in my opinion produces better code than C++Builder - at
least I think I noticed that....:-)

It's also easier to do hardware programming in MinGW32 - just pop in an
assembler module, and you're set to go.

The C++Builder is made for applications that use forms & database
connections - Cygwin32 was made for porting UN*X stuff to Win32. Ask Mumit
Khan what he designed MinGW32 for, I think it's a great multi-purpose
compiler which I use for game development.

It's harder to do multithreading in CygWin32.

The cygwin help system sucks. Must be an UN*X junkie - I prefer *.hlp files
or HTML-based specs.
(Yes, with regard to this, I AM A LAMER! :-(

U>Sorry for my poor english .
As long as you're understood, nobody cares :-)

Regards,
 Tiger

--All typos are made intentionally and serve the entertainment of the
reader--

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".