Subject: Re: BUG: md5sum b20 BIG error rate ~40%
From: [email-masked] (Urs Rau)

27 Nov 1998 00:06:36 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]>, Geoffrey Noer <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>

> I have text!=binary mounts myself, my prefered mode.  I just ran
> md5sum on all dll's in the Windows/System32 directory and did not have
> your problem.

try the following it fails under win95 and nt 4sp3 with or without Sergey's dll.

cd windir (windows or winnt)
find ./ -name \*.dll -exec md5sum {} \; | sort | tee -a 
/temp/checksums.md5

This will create severeal "groupings" of identical digest hashes. 
BTW Geoffrey Noer has since confirmed by email that he is 
aware of the problem with the md5sum.exe executable and that it 
will be fixed with the upcoming "20.1" release. 

> 
> Do you have the updated cygwin1.dll from the coolview package on
> Sergey Okhapkin's site installed?

doesn't make any difference and it also doesn't matter whether I 
supply the "-b" switch on the command line or not. It fails either 
way.

Geoffrey Noer's answer suggests that he will fix the "-b" switch to 
actually work. I stated above on my machines it fails regardless 
of whether I supplied the "-b" switch on the command line or not. 
So I don't know if the full extent of the problem is known to 
Geoffrey or not?

Is it safe to use the "-b" switch on any and every file? At times I 
would like to get a hash digest for every file in a directory tree 
and the laziest way to do it is to use the above "find" one-liner 
and use "-b" for all files.

> 
> 
> ==
> -                        \\||//
> -------------------o0O0--Earnie--0O0o-------------------
> --                [email-masked]               --
> -- http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html --
> ----------------------ooo0O--O0ooo----------------------
> 
> PS: Newbie's, you should visit my page.
> _________________________________________________________
> DO YOU YAHOO!?
> Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
> 

----
Urs RAU
------------------------------------------------------------+
| Operation Mobilisation, The Quinta, Weston Rhyn, OSWESTRY |
| SY10 7lT, UK, FAX: +44-1691-778378, TEL: +44-1691-773388  |
| Email: [email-masked]                                  |
+-----------------------------------------------------------+

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".