Subject: Re: stupid 'set' question
From: [email-masked] (Stephen L Arnold)

26 Nov 1998 06:42:06 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: [email-masked]

On 24 Nov 98,,  Ken Laberteaux had questions about stupid 'set' 
question:

> set TERM=linux

The above is DOS syntax for setting an environment variable.  In 
bash (don't know about other shells) you want to use:

export TERM=linux

Actually, there are other env. variables in my .bashrc that aren't 
explicitly "exported" but they still show up in my bash 
environment.  What's the real effect of the export in this hybrid 
bash environment?

The rxvt package works pretty much like an xterm (running bash) 
should, except for a little redraw problem after minimzing/unmin. 
the window.  I "borrowed" my bash setup from some other guy on the 
list and then modified it a bit; you can download my .bash_profile 
and .bashrc from the following page (if you're interested):

http://www.rain.org/~sarnold/adv_tools.html

Later, Steve

Check out those halloween docs:
http://www.opensource.org
Both humorous and disturbing...

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".