Subject: Re: Budweiser screen saver - beware!!
From: [email-masked] (Andrew Steele)

25 Nov 1998 20:04:34 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: gnu-win32 <[email-masked]>

Andrew Steele wrote:
> 
> Someone is sending out a very desirable screen-saver, the Budweiser
> Frogs - BUDDYLST.ZIP.  If you download it, you will lose everything!!!
> Your hard drive will crash and someone from the internet will get your
> screen name and password!  DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UNDER ANY
> CIRCUMSTANCES!!!  IT JUST WENT INTO CIRCULATION YESTERDAY, AS FAR AS WE
> KNOW.  PLEASE DISTRIBUTE THIS MESSAGE.
> This is a new, very malicious virus and not many people know about it.
> This information was announced yesterday morning from Microsoft.  Please
> share it with everyone that might access the internet. Once again, pass
> this along to EVERYONE in your address book so that this may be stopped.
> Also do not open or even look at any mail that says "RETURNED OR UNABLE
> TO DELIVER".  This virus will attach itself to your computer components
> and render them useless. Immediately delete mail items that say this.
> AOL has said that this is a very dangerous virus and that there is NO
> remedy for it at this time.  Please practice cautionary measures and
> forward this to all your on-line friends ASAP.
> 
--

Apologies to everyone.  This mail was received by myself on the 24th
November 1998.  Not knowing about this type of hoax virus I made the
mistake of forwarding it to the contents of my address book.  Which
unintentionally sent it to [email-masked]

I'm a new CygWin user and enjoy the gnu-win32 mailing list.  The last
thing I wanted to do was bring disrespect to the mailing list.

 Please except my apologies once again,

		Andrew Steele...

Please view...

http://www.hi-line.net/~support/tutor/hoax/buddylst.html
http://kumite.com/myths/home.htm
http://www.scambusters.org/otherhoaxes4.html
http://www.cybec.com.au/html/hoaxes.html
http://www.ontrack.com/hc/sc_5.asp
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/buddylst.zip.html
http://www.nai.com/services/support/hoax/hoax.asp
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".