Subject: Re: B20, on NT4.0: Bash crashes when background process ends
From: [email-masked] (raf)

23 Nov 1998 08:33:37 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Michael Hirmke wrote:

>[...]
>>If you do the same thing with the process in the foreground (no '&' on
>>the command line), bash does not go away.
>>
>>If you look really carefully at the bash window in the milliseconds
>>between when you click on it and when it disappears, you can see the
>>word "exit" displayed.

>Warning - due to a bug for Cygwin B20 it must be

>    CYGWIN=  tty binmode title strip_title glob

>Note the leading two white spaces !!
>And of course this env var has to be set *before* running any Cygwin
>program ! On NT set it in your user env, for W9x set it in autoexec.bat !
>If you want to use all the Cygwin programs from bash only, you can set
>it in cygnus.bat of course.

>This bug can cause your problem, because then bash exits after the last
>background command has exited.

can you explain how this can cause the behaviour described above?
why would bash exit after the last background command has exited?

(i had the same behaviour with the leading spaces in $CYGWIN
and with coolview without the leading spaces)

raf

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".