Subject: Re: B20, on NT4.0: Bash crashes when background process ends
From: [email-masked] (raf)

23 Nov 1998 08:32:52 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Robert Kieffer wrote:

>This is a repeatable bug.

>- Launch bash.
>- Start a background process that does not immediately exit (e.g. "tail
>-f somefile &")
>- In the task manager, kill that process
>- Now click the bash window
>- * crash * ... The bash window goes away.

>If you do the same thing with the process in the foreground (no '&' on
>the command line), bash does not go away.

>If you look really carefully at the bash window in the milliseconds
>between when you click on it and when it disappears, you can see the
>word "exit" displayed.

>My conjecture is that some process cleanup code is failing to recognize
>the fact that the background process has already gone away.  When you
>return to Bash, it tries to "clean up" the background processes by
>popping the most recent process "off the stack", which in this case
>happens to be the main Bash process.

note that this only happens with bash.
"&" from /bin/sh works as does a process backgrounding itself.

raf

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".