Subject: Re: Tcl bug
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

21 Nov 1998 22:31:12 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Albert Koelmans <[email-masked]>,
        GNU win32 mailing list <[email-masked]>

Earnie Boyd <[email-masked]> writes:
> ---Mumit Khan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I get console output from cygwish80.
> 

Earnie,

You're referring to the Tk console, not OS console which is where the
puts etc goes when run *non-interactively*. Win32 GUI apps don't have
consoles, so it goes nowhere (eg., the printfs in GUI apps don't show 
up anywhere).

I typically redefine puts et al to open up a fake console (text widget)
and sends the output there. I've also created a custom wish on win32 that 
does have console, and you get the expected output.

For portable Tk apps, you simply can't use puts etc and expect it to
work when run non-interactively. It's not a cygwin limitation, but
rather a "feature" of Windows GUI subsystem.

Regards,
Mumit

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".