Subject: Re: suggested mount tables?
From: [email-masked] (Vince Rice)

21 Nov 1998 16:44:12 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <Pine.SUN.3.94.981120171832.14445A-100000@caliban>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Ken Laberteaux <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

Let me say at the outset I'm a Unix user, not administrator.
I'm sure there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth from this,
but here's what I did, since I find the standard Cygnus directory
structure imcomprehensible <g>. My solution involves moving some
directories around, which simplifies the mounting issue.

First, I eliminate the cygwin-b20 directory entirely -- I don't
plan on keeping multiple versions on my PC (if you do, just keep
that directory level; everything else stays the same). All
original directories below are relative to cygwin-b20.  H-i586 and
i586 refer to the looooong directory names that start with those
respective strings (since I don't have them anymore, I don't
remember what they are <g>).

    Original                            New
bin                                    usr/local/bin
share                                  usr/local/share
i586/bin                               1
H-i586/i586/include                    usr/include
H-i586/i586/lib                        usr/lib
H-i586/bin                             usr/bin
H-i586/lib                             usr/local/lib
H-i586/etc                             usr/etc 2
H-i586/libexec                         usr/libexec 3

1.  I'm not sure where these go on a "standard" Unix box (if there
is such a thing <g>).  In AIX, which isn't necessarily what you want
to emulate, these programs are in /usr/css/bin.
2.  I've heard differing opinions on whether this should be /etc or
/usr/etc.  I have termcap in both places to cover my bases <g>.
3.  Not sure what these programs are or what they're for, so I don't
know where to put them.

My mount points then become:
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
G:\temp          /tmp                native      text!=binary
C:               /c                  native      text!=binary
G:\cygnus        /                   native      text!=binary

If you choose to keep the cygwin-b20 layer, then the / mount
point would be g:\cygnus\cygwin-b20.

This keeps the mount points to a minumum; by putting the
directories in the above places, the entire /usr tree falls
naturally into place, without having to have several mount
points.  It only takes a few seconds in Explorer to do the
moves, and from that point forward I haven't had any trouble.

Hopefully this will generate lots of discussion, even if it's
lambasting my setup <g> -- I have yet to see any documentation on
how to map the bizarre Cygnus structure to something approaching
Unix normalcy.

Vince

Ken Laberteaux wrote:

> I just downloaded cygnus b20.  Any suggestion on mount tables?  Should I
> make a /usr/local?  Which /bin should I use?  Any other suggestions are
> most welcomed.
>
> Ken
>
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
> "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".