Subject: Re: use of Win32 native editor with cygwin
From: [email-masked] (Theodore Jump)

21 Nov 1998 10:55:09 -0800
Message-ID: <3657ecb9.25479156.cygnus.gnu-win32@janus>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "Ahlsen-Girard, Edward" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

>learn for the first time), and I am wondering if anyone has advice on how to
>use The SemWare Editor 32 (a console-mode editor for Win32) with Cygwin.  If

Well, some minor nits aside, you should be able to just create your source
files and feed them to gcc. Any editor should work, really, even Windows
Notepad (so long as you keep your files reasonably small).

>you consider this desire to be insane, feel free to say so, but in that case
>please explain why someone who does not know how to program in C++ yet would
>be better served by trying to use vi or emacs instead.

However, you would probably be better served by a full-featured editor like VIM
(VI Improved) or Emacs if for no other reason that they support language-based
syntax highlighting which can provide very valuable visible cues and clues on
your code as you write it. Helps spot problems, find variable names, etc.

There are Cygwin Native builds of VIM for both Cygwin B19 and B20 "out there"
that should work fine and present the least amount of setup time. Emacs is not
yet ported to be native to Cygwin, however XEmacs has a beta version which is
reportedly stable and works well with the Cygwin tools.

VIM may be found here:

	http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/vim/

XEmacs may be found here:

	http://www.xemacs.org/

There are ready-to-use ports of these available at various Cygwin porting
sites, check the Cygwin FAQ, or my web site, for some pointers.

Best of luck,
-Ted
______________________________________________________________________
http://www.i21.com/~tjump                   http://www.fighterduel.com

"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts
agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer
professionals. We cause accidents."
                                         -Nathaniel Borenstein
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".