Subject: EGCS Installation problem
From: [email-masked] (Derek Tyler)

21 Nov 1998 06:22:49 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "GNU Mailing list" <[email-masked]>

I've just downloaded EGCS 1.1b but cannot get the configure to work.  I've
read the documentation and the FAQ, but to no avail.  I'm running Win95 on
a PC.  I have Cygwin b19.1,  gcc 2.8.1 and mingw32 March '98 installed .  I
understand that egcs is the replacement for gcc 2.8.1 which has been giving
me a few problems with cc1plus freezing or crashing.

I downloaded and unpacked egcs 1.1b.tar.gz into c:\egcs.

Noteing your advice on using seperate directories for source and object, I
decided to build in EGCS in c:\mingw32\usr\local.

So having set up those directories, (and put the latter on the path) I
tried

cd /mingw32/usr/local
configure --prefix=/mingw32/usr/local

and it comes back with
/EGCS/configure: No such file or directory. Then tried many other
variations on the theme but no joy.

This puzzles me, it's found configure, so what is it not finding ?  The
directories are all there.  Your install document
 says make sure gcc or cc is on the path.  It is, i.e gcc 2.8.1 is on the
path.  I also tried set cc = gcc ./configure  in the autoexec.bat.
Does this mean that gcc 2.8.1 will be used to build the tools ?

Sorry, if I've missed something fundamental but I'm not a unix fan (yet ?),
so I have no idea what is supposed to happen.
I'm just trying to learn C++  !

Thanks in advance,

D Tyler

[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".