Subject: Re: B20 installation: Missing _ISRES.DLL
From: [email-masked] (Wolfgang Glas)

17 Nov 1998 10:21:47 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi Michael !

> >Hi !
> >
> >  I tried to install 'full.exe' under NT4.0 SP 3
> >and get the error, that the installshield wizard needs _INSTALL.dll and
> >_ISRES.dll in the directory, where setup.exe resides (E:\temp/cygwin in my
> >case). Checking the contents of the directory I recognize, that only
> >_SETUP.dll exists. _ISRRES.dll is misssing. Does anybody know where to get
> >this file ? Or have I done something wrong ?
>
> Please download full.exe once more - it seems, you've got a corrupt one.
> Have a look at the file size of your downloaded version, it should have
> 12649719 bytes.
 
I'm now happy to have a workaround for a hanging 'full.exe'
installation. It took me several days, but finally I lookerd at the
InstallShield discussions at

    http://www.installshield.com/

and found out, that full.exe obviously uses an old version of
InstallShield which has the 'missing _INSTALL.dll and _ISRES.dll
problem. According to www.installshield.com the problem occurrs rarely
and under not exactly described situations. An additional problem is,
that with german language one sometimes gets empty error messages.
The error message in my above cited posting is a result of setting the
installation language to english after the 'full.exe' abortion.

Setting the installtion language to english works by editing the file
'setup.lid' to make it look like the follwing example (setting key0=0001
and default=0001 instead of 0009 as it is if you use german):

------------------file: setup.lid-------------------------
--[Languages]
key0=0001
Default=0001
count=1

------------------end of file: setup.lid-------------------------

After setting the installation language I got an '_ISRES.DLL' from

 ftp://ftp.installshield.com/InstallShield/TEMP/

and copied it into the directory, where full.exe unpacked itself. After
doing so and restarting 'setup.exe' in the temporary directory my
installation finally worked. A major drawback is, that the InstallShield
programm does not know about the default path (E:\cygnus\B20) and does
not know the company name etc., which are resources provided by
_ISRRES.DLL from a working full.exe. So one gets some error messages,
which can be ignored.

Note: Since error messages are missing in other languages than german
this workaround hangs, if you don't use english as the installtion
language.

  The unpacked files are then in a subfolder callled '-' (a result of
the lacking resources in _ISRES.DLL) in the folder you entered as the
installation directory.

  Uff, this was along story, but maybe it will help other people which
have problems installing 'full.exe'. I would appreciate, if the
maintainers of Cygwin32 left a copy of a working '_ISRES.dll' at the ftp
sites to enable this workaround for B20. A good idea might also be to
move on to a new version of InstallShield, which should be fixed
according to www.installshield.com

  Have fun with B20 and keep on hacking,

    Wolfgang

--
Mag. Wolfgang Glas
Institut fuer hydraulische Stroemungsmaschinen
Kopernikusgasse 24                              Phone:++43/316/873/7578
A-8010 Graz                                     Fax:  ++43/316/873/7577

mailto:[email-masked]
http://fhysmsg01.tu-graz.ac.at/Wolfgang.Glas/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".