Subject: RE: NT + sshd ?
From: [email-masked] (Michael Czapski)

17 Nov 1998 06:41:41 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "'Andres Heinloo'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]"
    <[email-masked]>

Hello Andres,
There was, once upon a time, a piece called Autoexnt or such.  It would permit 
one to start a DOS (Win NT) batch file as a service under WinNT.  You could 
have anything reasonable or unreasonable in the batch file so started.
WinNT ResKit is not free but for a semi-serious NT user/administrator may be 
quite useful.  It has a couple of programs which allow you to register and 
manipulate Windows NT services.
An application written specifically to run as Windows NT Service must have 
certain Windows NT Service-related functionality, in addition to its intrinsic 
functionality, to properly cooperate with the Windows NT Service Control 
Manager (SCM) and the Service Control Panel Applet.  MS VisualStudio 5 has an 
example of a NT Service in C.
In my opinion, a program which needs to run as a Windows NT Service, and which 
has been written with the required SCM support functionality, should also have 
the code that given certain parameters causes itself to be registered as a W  
indows NT Service and, given other parameters, allow itself to be started, 
stopped, and removed by running the executable from the command line.
I did a number of these and I know it is easy to add this extra functionality 
once you manage to assimilate the other SCM-related stuff.
Theoretically, and I could be wrong or have insufficient information, you could 
install a program as a Windows NT Service by creating appropriate entries in 
the Windows NT Registry.  Unless the program had the SCM support code it would 
still be a badly behaved service but it would show up in the Services Control 
Panel Applet and you would be able to start it from there.

Cheers ..

On Monday, November 16, 1998 9:20 PM, Andres Heinloo [SMTP:[email-masked]] 
wrote:
>
> On 14 Nov 1998, Michael Hirmke wrote:
>
> > >how can I launch sshd (Sergey Okhapkin's port) on NT (workstation)
> > >startup, so that I can subsequently use it to log into my machine? Please
> > >give me simple directions, because I am not much into NT services and all
> > >that stuff.
> >
> > Get the NT ResKit - there is a tool named srvany included, which should
> > install sshd as an NT service. A help file on how to use it is included,
> > too.
>
> Is it free? I did a search on www.microsoft.com, but did not find anything
> useful to download. Doesn't Windows NT really have a standard means to
> start a service? I'm glad I'm using Linux most of the time...
>
>
> Andres.
>
> -

------------------
Cheers ...
Michael Czapski

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".