Subject: BUG: md5sum b20 BIG error rate ~40%
From: [email-masked] (Urs Rau)

17 Nov 1998 05:38:43 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Hi folks,

I have used the md5sum binary that ships with b20 untill I discovered (by 
cross-checking hashes with the lnux version of md5) that about 40% of the 
file digests it produces are false. 

I have thirteen binary files of different sizes but yet they all produce only one 
of two digests. The files are on a "text!=binary" mount and it doesn't matter 
whether I use the "-b" switch when I produce the digests.

Can anyone fix this md5sum binary?

Have a look at the following files noting that they are binary images of the 
win95 installation disks.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 everyone  1720238 Nov 11 11:11 WIN95-10.EXE
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 everyone  1723017 Nov 11 11:11 WIN95-11.EXE
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 everyone  1721606 Nov 11 11:11 WIN95-12.EXE
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 everyone   988169 Nov 11 11:11 WIN95-13.EXE
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 everyone  1706346 Nov 11 11:11 WIN95-2.EXE
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 everyone  1722334 Nov 11 11:11 WIN95-3.EXE
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 everyone  1723558 Nov 11 11:11 WIN95-4.EXE
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 everyone  1722256 Nov 11 11:11 WIN95-5.EXE
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 everyone  1722408 Nov 11 11:11 WIN95-6.EXE
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 everyone  1723225 Nov 11 11:11 WIN95-7.EXE
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 everyone  1721879 Nov 11 11:11 WIN95-8.EXE
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 everyone  1722809 Nov 11 11:11 WIN95-9.EXE
NOTE: files are all binary and different sizes 
347b70fb70cbfe7df7b2ccb3111c51e2  WIN95-0.EXE
347b70fb70cbfe7df7b2ccb3111c51e2  WIN95-1.EXE
aa74e97e7270486834ae7014cd50f508  WIN95-10.EXE
aa74e97e7270486834ae7014cd50f508  WIN95-11.EXE
aa74e97e7270486834ae7014cd50f508  WIN95-12.EXE
aa74e97e7270486834ae7014cd50f508  WIN95-13.EXE
aa74e97e7270486834ae7014cd50f508  WIN95-2.EXE
aa74e97e7270486834ae7014cd50f508  WIN95-3.EXE
aa74e97e7270486834ae7014cd50f508  WIN95-4.EXE
aa74e97e7270486834ae7014cd50f508  WIN95-5.EXE
aa74e97e7270486834ae7014cd50f508  WIN95-6.EXE
aa74e97e7270486834ae7014cd50f508  WIN95-7.EXE
aa74e97e7270486834ae7014cd50f508  WIN95-8.EXE
aa74e97e7270486834ae7014cd50f508  WIN95-9.EXE
NOTE: how there are two hashes only !!!
----
Urs RAU
------------------------------------------------------------+
| Operation Mobilisation, The Quinta, Weston Rhyn, OSWESTRY |
| SY10 7lT, UK, FAX: +44-1691-778378, TEL: +44-1691-773388  |
| Email: [email-masked]                                  |
+-----------------------------------------------------------+

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".