Subject: Re: NT + sshd ?
From: [email-masked] (Charles Wilson)

17 Nov 1998 03:16:20 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Andres Heinloo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Andres Heinloo wrote:

> On 14 Nov 1998, Michael Hirmke wrote:
>
> > >how can I launch sshd (Sergey Okhapkin's port) on NT (workstation)
> > >startup, so that I can subsequently use it to log into my machine? Please
> > >give me simple directions, because I am not much into NT services and all
> > >that stuff.
> >
> > Get the NT ResKit - there is a tool named srvany included, which should
> > install sshd as an NT service. A help file on how to use it is included,
> > too.
>
> Is it free? I did a search on www.microsoft.com, but did not find anything
> useful to download. Doesn't Windows NT really have a standard means to
> start a service? I'm glad I'm using Linux most of the time...
>
>

Well, you can find it at:
    http://vb.duke.net/howto/service.html
along with instructions.

As far as how "free" it is, I'm not sure. However:
    (1) an older version is available from
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/reskit/nt35/i386/ as part of
a larger package. I know, it says NT3.5, but according to
http://www.ftpserv-u.com/srvany.htm that older version will work with NT4.0 as
well.
    (2) anecdotal, not legal: There's a whole buncha sites where you can
download it, and knowing how...enthusiastic...the Microsoft legal department
is, and since those sites haven't been shut down, or cease-and-desisted,
well...

--Chuck

> Andres.
>
> -
> For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
> "[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".