Subject: B20: sh/configure/sed problem (Windows 95)
From: [email-masked] (jl Hamel)

17 Nov 1998 01:35:08 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hello,

I am trying to compile some stuff using Cygwin B20, and I have some
problems with configure under Windows 95 (I use your last "coolview"
and the sh.exe shell).

I have found something which can perhaps interest you. The troubles
happen when there is many calls to sed inside backquotes in a shell do
loop. 
The last calls to sed, when inside backquotes, give wrong results.

Here is a little script to see that:

#!/bin/sh
ac_given_srcdir=.
CONFIG_FILES=${CONFIG_FILES-"Makefile builtins/Makefile\
        lib/readline/Makefile lib/glob/Makefile\
        lib/malloc/Makefile lib/sh/Makefile lib/termcap/Makefile
        lib/tilde/Makefile doc/Makefile support/Makefile\
        examples/loadables/Makefile"}
for ac_file in .. $CONFIG_FILES; do
   ac_file_in="${ac_file}.in"
   echo "======================="
   echo $ac_file_in|sed -e "s%^%$ac_given_srcdir/%"
   ac_file_inputs=`echo $ac_file_in|sed -e "s%^%$ac_given_srcdir/%"`
   ac_file_inputs=`echo $ac_file_in|sed -e "s%^%$ac_given_srcdir/%"`
   ac_file_inputs=`echo $ac_file_in|sed -e "s%^%$ac_given_srcdir/%"`
   ac_file_inputs=`echo $ac_file_in|sed -e "s%^%$ac_given_srcdir/%"`
   ac_file_inputs=`echo $ac_file_in|sed -e "s%^%$ac_given_srcdir/%"`
   echo $ac_file_inputs
done

There are many identical lines "ac_file_inputs=..." which do the same
thing,
and the number of those lines would not change the results.

However, this script gives wrong results, but if you reduce the number
of the
"ac_file_inputs=..." lines, the results become correct...

I think that there should be some resources exhausted in the shell, but
I am not an expert...

This explain why the config.status script hangs under Windows 95. Of
course
the configure scripts are very complicated, but one source of the
problem is
the number of occurence of sed calls inside backquotes into a loop.

I hope this will be usefull...

Regards,

                                        jl Hamel
                                        [email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".