Subject: Info and man/groff questions
From: [email-masked] (Vince Rice)

16 Nov 1998 06:16:19 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Thanks to Mumit and Earnie for clarifying the filenames for TCL and TK. So
we're on to a couple of other "newbie" questions (but I have done some
research before asking them <g>).

1.  I found binaries for texinfo on Ted Jump's page so that I could use all of
those marvelous info files I downloaded from Cygnus <g>. However, the <Delete>
key doesn't work as described; the <Backspace> key brings up a split screen
with some help in it, the actual <Delete> keypad key doesn't do anything, just
beeps a few times, I presume because it's sending some escape sequence that
info
isn't recognizing. I have TERM set to linux, and I have both terminfo and
termcap entries for linux.

2.  I also found binaries for man on Michael Hirmke's (I didn't go look that
up, so I probably just butchered his name; sorry Michael) ftp site. It also
works great, except where there are supposed to be end-of-line dashes I'm
getting <AD>. For example, I get the following lines from less' man page:
   size, only the final screenful is displayed.  Warn<AD>
   ing:  some  systems use ^V as a special literaliza<AD>
   tion character.
The <AD> characters are in blue on white, rather than the white on blue of the
rest of the text (in other words, it's reverse video <g>).

3.  Doesn't bash read .bashrc on startup? I'm changing to my home directory
before invoking bash, but it's still not running it when it starts.

Thanks!

Vince

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".